Wednesday, November 18, 2009

professional vs personal

As most of you have probably noticed, a lot of the people in this line of work are girls. At my clinic there are 25 girls and 2 guys. Both of our male employees are doctors and 6 of the girls are the doctors, the rest are receptionists, assistants and techs. I've worked with these girls for well over a year and just now am I starting to have difficulties. I do my best to separate professional life from personal life but recently, they've kinda bled into each other. And thats not always a good thing. Im finding myself trying harder and harder to become "friends" with these girls. I mean, at work, we all get along, we all chat and have fun and make an alright team. But i figured that maybe if we were friends that the teamwork, communication and dedication would improve. So i tried but now, it just seems to be biting me in the ass. These girls are not the best of friends and I find myself isolated becuase I tried to do the friends leap. I know, my bad. But now, the team work seems all out of whack and I find myself feeling a little jealous with how well some of the other girls get along. Like, why can't i get along with them like that? And I did all of this becuase I wanted a better team, i wanted us to become not only team members but friends who we could turn to in times of stress. And maybe thats it, thats my problem... in times of stress, they could be the ones I turn too becuase they understand the job and therefore would understand my stress. I can go home, and complain and vent to my family all night long but they dont truly understand where Im coming from or know what Im talking about. So what to do? be friends with these girls and cross that professional/personal line or dont do anything and find another way to release some of the stresses associated with work? But i gotta say, stress relief is not my primary reason for wanting to be "friends" with these girls. I mean, whats the harm in getting some friends in the biz? We all share the same passions, we all have our own pets, we all have a lot in common! So woulnd't the people you work with sort of be the best candidate for a friendship? And who knows, maybe Im saying this and feeling like this because I dont have the best of friends in my life. They are all on different chapters then I am. So theres no familiarity with them anymore... winter always brings the blues and i do my best to fight them but I cant win all the time unfortunatley and this time, i lost.

1 comment:

  1. I work in a much smaller clinic (but we are very busy) there are 2 full time vets, 1 part time vet,5 full time support staff and 3 part time support staff. Most of the support staff (all female) get along well with each other, we have tried to include all of the staff but one staff member in particular does not want to be friendly inside or outside of work...she is rude to clients as well as other staff members...and whats wores is (I am the unofficial office manager... I have the most senority and a lot of the clients assume that I am the manager so when complaints are made they are brought to my attention) that when I tell the owner about these complaints he says that its because the clients expect everyone to be as friendly and perky as me and the others....which to me is BS he should tell her that it is not appropriate... Any way me and 2 of the other girls in particular have hung out outside of work and we have fun....I dont think that there is anything wrong with being friends with the people you work with...you just have to be carefull not to form "cliques"at work in which someone feels left out!. sorry for the rant hope it somewhat helps you!

    ReplyDelete